Friday, September 7, 2012

In The Mood For Canning Food


After I realized I wouldn't be canning any peaches yesterday, I decided to start in on some frozen tomatoes.  We have a ton of tomatoes from last year still in the freezer, and we need more room in there, so I grabbed five of the gallon-sized bags of whole tomatoes and cooked those down into sauce.  I ended up with 8 pints of sauce. 

Once those were finished, I was still in the canning groove so I decided to try a new-to-me way to can dry beans.  Instead of soaking and par-cooking them ahead of time, I put the pinto beans in the jar dry (raw), added seasoning and boiling water, then pressure canned them.  These pintos were the ones we grew and dried ourselves.  Not a bad return -- one seed packet in spring yielded 9 pints of cooked beans in late summer.

When those were done, I was still in the mood, so I canned 5 pints of garbanzo beans, using the same method as above.  Homemade hummus, here we come!

While I was digging around in the freezer, I found some pie crust dough I'd made a while back, and a bag of frozen apple pie filling I'd made last year, so I made a pie. 


And then, after all that, I ordered pizza for our supper.  I know...it doesn't make sense to me, either.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...