Friday, August 10, 2012

Banana-Zucchini Bread (aka Bikini Bread)

Zucchini-Banana Bread

Shane requested some zucchini bread, so I dug out my tried-and-true recipe.  But I spied one over-ripe banana on the counter, so I added that.  And when I reached for the cooking oil and sugar, I saw the coconut oil and Sucanat, so I substituted those.  Sometimes when I can't leave well enough alone, I end up with something even better.

Here is the original recipe.  My changes are in red.


Zucchini-Banana Bread


Banana-Zucchini Bread


1 large egg
1 cup sugar (1 cup Sucanat)
1/2 cup oil (1/2 cup unrefined coconut oil)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup grated zucchini
1 ripe banana, mashed
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1-1/2 cups flour (I use a 50/50 mix of white and whole wheat)
1 cup chopped nuts (optional) (I didn't have any this time)

Heat oven to 325°F. Combine ingredients in the order listed. Spread batter into loaf pan sprayed with pan spray.  Bake at 325°F.  Bake 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.

Makes 1 loaf.

To make bars instead, spray an 8-inch square pan with pan spray.  Bake at 325°F for 35 minutes.  Cut into 16 bars.  Bars come out lighter and fluffier than loaves.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...