Thursday, November 1, 2012

Bi-Monthly Book Look - September/October

I'm finally finding a little more time for reading, and I'm right on track with my goal of reading 26 books in 2012.  I can't become complacent, though, or I won't make it through the last six books by the end of the year.

I was able to finish four books, all novels, in September and October:






Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
My Rating: 3 out of 5. 

Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins
My Rating: 5 out of 5.

Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins
My Rating: 4 out of 5.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to read this series or not, but Shane would like to see the Hunger Games movie, so I decided to read the books first.  Overall, it is a great story, and I'd give it 4 or 4.5.  I'm not usually impressed by Young Adult fiction, but this story didn't seem YA to me at all.  As stand alone books, the first is a little weak, in my opinion, with an unsatisfactory ending, but because I was able to go directly to the second book, it felt more like the end of a chapter than the end of a book.  I think most readers already know what these books are about, but for those who don't, teenagers in a post-apocalyptic country (formerly known as USA) are selected by government lottery and forced to enter a kill-or-be-killed game of survival.




Home Across The Road - Nancy Peacock
My Rating:  5 out of 5. 

This is the story of Roseberry, the plantation home of the white Redds and the the black Redds, whom they own as slaves.  The drama and tragedies of both families is told in a story that spans more than 100 years.  The author repeats parts of the story over and over throughout the book, yet never never becomes dull or tiresome in doing so.  Overall, it's a beautifully written book.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...