Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Stumped



I'm busy sewing today, but here's something that's on my mind -- and has been on my mind before, because it's happened several times.

I'll be in a conversation with a friend or acquaintance and talk will turn to things like kids, our families and eventually, the fact that I am a stay-at-home wife and grandma.  The other person will ask if I enjoy staying home, and when I say that I do, they say, "Well, you have lots of things to keep you busy."  Or, "you have things to do at home."

The emphasis is always on the word you.  I just don't know what to make of comments like those.

Do I say, "Hey, thanks for noticing all the projects we have going on at home.  Isn't it great that we're so industrious? Wouldn't you like to be just like us?"

Or do I say, "Oh, I see what you're saying.  You're just a lazy slob who's happy to never get off the couch and do anything productive." 

Neither really seems like the right thing to say.  I'm stumped.  I usually just grunt or mumble something in their general direction and move on.

What do you think?  Has anyone ever said something like this to you?  How would you, or did you, respond if they did?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...