Sunday, January 1, 2012

Our Traditional New Year's Day Meal

Each year I make a traditional southern New Year's Day dinner.  The meal varies slightly from year to year, but always consists of some kind of pork with gravy, black-eyed peas and cooked greens (to symbolize prosperity...specifically coins and bills), and from-scratch biscuits or cornbread.

Here is this year's version of the meal.



I simmered some smoked ham hocks along with the ham bone from Christmas dinner, all from a hog we bought last fall.  I picked the meat from the bones and then seasoned and thickened it into a rich gravy.  I spooned the meaty gravy over homemade buttermilk biscuits and served it with cooked turnip greens (from last year's garden) and black-eyed peas that I pressure-canned several months ago.  I added some green beans (because Kat doesn't really like greens) and some tall glasses of sweet iced tea.  I didn't make a dessert this year because we still have plenty of treats left over from Christmas, but pumpkin or sweet potato pie would be just right with this meal.

It's a simple meal, but it's rich in flavor and tradition.  I could cook this meal anytime, but I usually only make it on New Year's Day and I look forward to it all year long!

Do you have any traditional dishes you serve on the first day of the year?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...