Thursday, March 8, 2012

Homemade, Healthier Potato Chips

I know you can't eat just one.

I found this post about microwave potato chips at From Blah To Ta-Da yesterday and just had to give these chips a try.  And after trying several variations, I just had to share them with you.

These are so easy.  To make basic potato chips, wash a large potato, but don't peel it. Slice it really thin.  If you have a mandolin slicer, go for it.  If not, try to slice the potatoes 1/6th inch thin or thinner for delicately crispy chips and not more than 1/8 inch thick for crunchier, heartier chips.

Once sliced rinse in cool water several times or soak for about 10 minutes.  This is to remove the starch.  Dry potato slices on clean dish towel.  Drying makes them cook crisper and keeps them from sticking to the paper towels.

Line a microwave safe plate with a couple of layers of paper towels or parchment paper.  Place slices on the plate, making sure they don't overlap or else they will stick together.  If desired, you can spray or brush them very lightly with the oil of your choice, but it is totally not necessary!  Sprinkle with salt or other seasoning at this point.

Microwave on full power for 3 minutes.  Turn chips and microwave at 50% power for 3 more minutes.  Watch your chips as they cook.  In my oven, it only took 2 more minutes on 50% power to finish them.  The one plateful that I sprayed lightly with oil cooked more quickly and did not need to be turned over at all.

Let cook slightly, then enjoy.  If you have any left (you won't!) they can be stored for a few days in an airtight container.

Just one large potato made four platefuls of chips, so you know they have to be a thrifty snack, too.  If I wasn't convinced before that the big chip companies are ripping us off, I am now!

I made four different flavor variations:
  • Lightly salted (no oil)
  • BBQ (I used a "firecracker rub" for ribs that I had in the cabinet, and no oil)
  • Plain with a sprinkling of nutritional yeast (no oil)
  • Sea salt and cracked black pepper (lightly sprayed with peanut oil)

They were all delicious, but I think we both liked the salt and pepper flavor the best.  Shane likes the salt and vinegar chips you can buy in the store, so he's asked me to come up with that variation.  If I do, I'll post those, too.


This post is being shared at Hearth and Soul Hop with Premeditated Leftovers and Delicious Dish Tuesday with Full Time Mama.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...