Thursday, May 31, 2012

Easy Breakfast Casserole

Egg casserole for camping

When my blog buddy, A.Marie at My Money Mission, posted this on her Facebook page a couple of weeks ago, I knew I wanted to try it for a camping breakfast.  Her recipe, as shared below, is for a larger casserole in a 9x13 pan.  I decided to make only half the recipe, and ended up using an oven safe skillet because I didn't have a small casserole dish in the camper like I thought I did. 

Actually, I started this on the burners by assembling the casserole in the skillet, covering it with foil, and setting it over a low flame. I was using the oven for the hash brown patties and turned the oven off when they were done.  It was too hot to light the oven again (the manual-light pilot is at the rear of the oven), so I just stuck the covered casserole in the still-hot (but turned off) oven, shut the door, and left it there for about 10 more minutes.  It was just perfect when it came out.

Here is the full-size recipe:


Easy Breakfast Casserole
1 doz. eggs, scrambled as you normally would
1 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1/4 c. milk
6 to 8 oz. sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 lb. bacon, sausage, or ham

Cook the bacon, sausage, or ham.  Drain grease if necessary.

Heat oven to 350F.

Combine the cooked meat with the scrambled eggs. Mix the milk with the mushroom soup and fold mixture into the egg mixture.
Spread into a greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Top with the shredded cheese.*

Cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 degrees until hot (about 20 minutes).

May be prepared the night before and baked when ready to use. Allow a little extra time for baking since it will be cold. Do not preheat oven when removing from refrigerator. Put in cold oven and turn to correct oven temperature.


*I believe A.Marie mixes the cheese into the egg mixture.  The only reason I did not do that myself was because I am still learning about our camper's oven and didn't want the cheese in the mixture to possibly keep me from knowing whether the eggs were fully cooked.  Next time I will probably add the cheese in before baking.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...