Friday, May 18, 2012

Face the Music - Son Volt - Ten Second News



Stick around long enough and you'll find that I love music with minor tones, like this one.  Son Volt is one of very my favorite groups, and this is one of my favorite songs of all time. 

This song is, to me, hauntingly beautiful.  In it's lines "there's a beach there known for cancer waiting to happen" and "there's a cough in the water and it's running into town" it references Missouri's Time Beach hazardous waste disaster and subsequent evacuation of the 1980s.

If you don't know the band Son Volt, or the band it evolved from, Uncle Tupelo (which also spawned the band Wilco), check them out on you tube.  Wilco has a more pop sound now, but Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt are alternative-country at it's finest.  And I promise, their music isn't all gloom and doom...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...