Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Eating and Drinking at Camp

By now you know I like to cook and that I try to steer my family and myself away from a lot of junk foods and pre-packaged convenience foods.  But camping is supposed to be a mini-vacation, so when we camp, we loosen up on a lot of the "rules" we follow at home by buying, eating and using a lot of things we don't normal buy, eat or use at home.

I don't want to spend my entire trip cooking and washing dishes, so we allow for a few conveniences.  We use paper napkins and paper plates.  Not styrofoam, but actual biodegradable paper.  We eat hot dogs and marshmallows, and drink soda and bottled water.  We've been known to use canned soups and boxed mac-n-cheese when we camp.  These aren't the same standards I try to keep to at home.  Whatever.

This past weekend was no exception, although I would like to point out a few things that I found interesting. 
  • Everything we ate, we ate at camp, meaning we didn't eat any meals out.  We usually eat at least one meal out when we camp, so I consider this a small victory.
  • When we left home, in addition to beer and water, we had three 2-liter bottles of soda and a gallon of homemade iced tea.  By the time we got home, the tea was nearly gone, and we had consumed less than a bottle of the soda.  Our water was about 3/4 gone, and we didn't have any beer left.
  • The homemade cookies I made didn't get touched at all until we got home|
  • In the s'mores department, we still had graham crackers, marshmallows AND chocolate left over.
  • On the other hand, there was only half of one of the three bags of chips left, and the french onion dip was completely gone by the end of the second day. 
  • True confession time:  I just don't like s'mores.  Every camping season I try one, take a bite or two, then pass it on to Kat or Shane.  This year I tried one with dark chocolate, thinking maybe it wouldn't be so sweet.  Nope.  Still couldn't do it. 
  • Thus, I've decided that my ideal s'more would be savory.  The graham crackers would be replaced with saltines, the chocolate replaced with cheese, and the marshmallow replaced with ham.  If that happened, the s'more would be my BFF.
Anyway...we did a little cooking and a lot of eating at camp.  Here are a few pics, and I'll try to post a couple of recipes to follow them up tomorrow or Thursday.

Homemade sugar cookie bars.

Friday night's supper of burgers and dogs.

Oh yes it was!

Sausage rolls for breakfast, but they tasted more like an hors d'oeuvre.

Sauteed zucchini, onion and red pepper to go with....

chunks of pork loin simmered in a slow cooker...

thickened with gravy mix...

and served over whole wheat pasta.  We ate every last bit of it.

These were good.

A breakfast casserole (thanks A.Marie), and pre-made hash brown patties.

Our friend John calls these cowboy potatoes.  Potatoes, Vidalia onions, season salt and butter...

wrapped in foil...

and grilled until tender.  Yum!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...