Monday, February 20, 2012

Another Weekend In the Books

Before I start the week, I want to give a big thanks for all the new "Likes" on Facebook.  Likes for the Haphazard Homestead page on Facebook doubled over the weekend!  I think most of it was because I linked Saturday's rainwater post to a FB status update by Common Sense Homesteading, but also because I "Liked" several new pages myself.  Whatever the cause, I'm happy to see so many new folks checking out the page and the blog.  Thanks!


**********


How was everyone's weekend?  Ours was a mixed bag, as usual. 

Kat was supposed to have been with her mom, but because of some scheduling conflicts, my daughter couldn't take her for the entire weekend.  Instead she came here and spent a few hours and also took Kat to see a matinee of The Secret World of Arrietty, which they both said they enjoyed.

While they were gone, Shane and I sneaked off for a couple of romantic hours alone at Orscheln Farm and Home, Tractor Supply Co., and Home Depot.  What? You have a different notion of romance?

We were tracking down seed potatoes and quick-set concrete.  The taters are self-explanatory.  The concrete is to set a pole for an over-sized martin house that Shane's step-dad has built for us.

The rest of the day was more or less uneventful.  For supper, I made a Hunan Beef sort of dish using venison, which turned out really well.  Afterward, Kat and Shane played some video games together while I worked on "the afghan".  It's almost done.  I'm putting the edging on today and just need to literally tie up a few loose ends.  Pics will be this week for sure.

Sunday was more of the same (uneventfulness), which isn't all bad.  Shane enlisted Kat's help in putting up some tie-back brackets for the drapes I hemmed last month.  I spent the morning in the kitchen getting things ready for later in the day, then had a little time to check email and Facebook.

At 4:00 on the dot, Shane's mom and step-dad showed up, supposedly to have dinner and bring us the aforementioned martin house.  But, for some reason they didn't bring it; I'm still not sure what's up with that.  We visited for a while, then Shane grilled some pork steaks to go with dinner.  Oh My Yum!  In the past, pork steaks have been a take 'em or leave 'em kind of food for me, but the way he grills them (and that they came from the farm-raised hog we bought last year) makes them irresistible to me. I made a big batch of potato salad, some green beans and layered lettuce salad to go with them.  MIL brought a fruit salad and we all ate and ate and ate.  I'm not sure why, but it all just hit the spot last night.

We were going to play a board game or dominoes after supper, but for some reason, that didn't happen, either.  I think we were too full! 

Kat doesn't have school today (President's Day), but we don't have anything special planned for her day off.  How about you?  Do you have the day off, and if so, are you doing anything fun?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...