Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Quick and Easy Indian-Style Chicken


Chicken used to be a frequent "guest" at our table because it was so inexpensive, but since I've started buying only free-range, organic chicken, it's become more of a special treat for us.  Because we only buy one fryer every month or so now, I try to be more selective about the chicken recipes I make.

I knew this would be a dish that Shane and I would enjoy, but I honestly wasn't sure what Kat would think of it.  I was so happy to find out that she loves it. 

It's an easy dish, which is always nice.  Just cut up a whole chicken (or buy it already cut) and pour a simple sauce over it, then bake it.  I think the recipe is better suited to dark meat, but breast pieces work well, too.

Unfortunately, I can't remember where I first saw the recipe I based this on, so I'm not able to give credit where it's due.


Quick and Easy Indian-Style Chicken


1 whole fryer chicken, cut into pieces (or 6-8 pieces pre-cut chicken)
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional, but without it I felt it was lacking)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Heat oven to 350°F.  Spray a 9x13 baking dish (or lidded oven-proof skillet) with your favorite pan spray.

Place chicken pieces in prepared dish.

In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine remaining ingredients and stir well to combine.  Pour over chicken pieces.  Turn chicken pieces a couple of times to coat them well with the sauce mixture.

Cover with foil (or lid) and bake for 45 minutes.  Remove foil or lid, spoon drippings over chicken pieces, and bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes to brown.

Serve with regular, brown, or coconut rice.  Spoon pan drippings over rice and chicken as desired.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.


This post is being shared at the Hearth and Soul Hop with Premeditated Leftovers and Delicious Dish Tuesdays with Full Time Mama.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...