Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Solid Lotion Bars



Last week I discovered a new blog, Common Sense Homesteading, and saw this "recipe" for solid lotion bars.

These are so easy to make.  All you need are equal amounts of beeswax, cocoa butter and the oil of your choice.  I used olive oil.  I used 2 ounces of each (by weight on the beeswax and cocoa butter, and by volume on the oil).

Melt all together...


Pour into molds (I just recycled some yogurt tubs)...


and a couple or three hours later, pop them out.


These are really fun to make and have a nice chocolaty scent when you use them, but the smell doesn't linger and become a distraction.  The emollients soak into your skin quickly so you aren't left with a greasy feeling on your hands or body.  I really like that all the ingredients are natural, and that this one product can be used all over my body, including my lips.

I used olive oil, but I think next time I will try coconut oil instead, in hopes it will yield a slightly firmer bar.  This batch made four bars for me (1.5 ounce each, approximately).  There are only three in the picture, though, because I already gave one to my daughter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...