Monday, February 27, 2012

Un-Happy Meal

I was contacted this morning by an administrator at FrugalDad to inform me of today's post there and to ask if I'd like to share the following graphic.

I used to be as big a junk food junkie as anyone.  Even now, I can't say I never have or will never again go to McDonald's or some other fast food place.  I can say that as time goes by, those visits are becoming less frequent.  Visits to McDonald's specifically are down to about once or twice a year.  Visits to all fast food places are down to about once every couple of months.  I also refuse to buy any more meals with toys.  Shane calls them "one-time toys" because they are junk and usually break or get tossed out after one use.

How often does the average family with kid(s) eat at McDonald's?  I really have no idea, but I'm confident it's more than we do.  How often do parents give in to the lure of the toy?  According to the graphic, a lot!  Some of the other statistics stated may surprise you.

It's going to be hard enough to keep Kat away from places like this once she is a teen and has some peer-pressure-driven autonomy.  I feel like I should do what I can now to steer her away from junk so that later, she might sometimes make better choices when she's out with friends.  At the very least, she'll be aware of the choices she makes and won't be simply following the pack.

What about your family?  Do you frequent McDonald's or other fast food places?  If so, how much does "meal-with-toy" marketing influence what you order for your kids?  Have your fast-food habits changed over time?  Discuss.



mcdonalds
Source: http://frugaldad.com
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...