Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Kefir Chocolate Ice Cream

kefir ice cream

Shane and I really enjoy all of the cultured (fermented) foods I've been making, but getting Kat on board has been more difficult.  This frozen treat made with dairy kefir worked wonders with her.  Because kefir has a tangy taste, this dessert reminds me of the flavor of chocolate cheese cake.

This ice cream has raw eggs in it, but I don't heat the kefir mixture because it would negate the probiotic properties.  I get pastured eggs from a local farmer, so I am not concerned that they are raw in this dessert. 


Kefir Chocolate Ice Cream

2 cups plain dairy kefir
1 cup kefir cream (kefir made with cream) or
     1/2 cup kefir cheese (kefir with the whey drained off, leaving a thick spreadable cheese)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar (preferably organic)
1/3 cup cocoa powder (preferably organic)

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.  Our into the container of your ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions.

Makes about 3-1/2 cups.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...